SUMMARY: Perform nursing functions as approved by LPN licensure or CMA certification through direct patient care. Ready patients for provider care team. Make sure patient receives all services needed.
1. Gives direct nursing care to assigned patients in conformance with nursing techniques and procedures as stated in Policy and Procedure Manual.
2. Carries out patient's plan of care within health center policy, procedures, and legal limitations.
3. Follows the established lines of authority and communication.
4. Carries out proper procedure for basic life support, fire, disaster, and infection control.
5. Actively participates in cost containment by conserving supplies and equipment and initiating patient charges.
6. Attends required meetings and participates in in-services and continuing education programs to keep current of trends in nursing care.
7. Plans with professional and departmental groups in developing the patient care plan. Uses tact, patience, and understanding when dealing with patients and families.
8. Assists in the development, implementation and evaluation of the teaching plan.
9. Documents an accurate and relevant record of patient's care.
10. Maintains communication with providers, utilizing providers orders.
11. Participates in monitoring and evaluating the quality of nursing care provided.
12. Implements the outlined plan of care, consistently, effectively to maintain the patient at the highest achievable level of health.
13. Works in collaboration with patients' providers to share information relevant to the patient's changing plan of care, questions and seeks clarification of unclear providers orders.
14. Adheres to and enforces health center and nursing policies and procedures relating to the safety of patients and employees.
15. Recognizes life-threatening situations and responds appropriately.
16. Accepts constructive criticism and implements suggestions an/or goals for improving performance.
17. Is aware at all times of conditions of patients assigned and keeps appropriate personnel informed.
18. Other duties as assigned.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply concepts of basic mathematics.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to participate in problem solving and implement appropriate steps for problem resolution under the RN supervision. Ability to carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to exercise sound judgment.
COMPETENCY/SKILL REQUIREMENT: Competency required in the areas of communication, excellent verbal and written skills, and ability to perform duties per age specific nursing protocols.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Current North Carolina LPN license or CMA Certification. Current BLS certification.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to operate basic office/medical equipment. Ability to assess and visually present data. Ability to deal effectively with stress and to work under pressure. Word processing and general computer skills.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical/mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, sit, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, balance on two feet, stoop, kneel, crouch, or reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move patients of various weights. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Successfully completed and passed the licensed practical nurse exam or the CMA exam. Experience in public health and/or out-patient service.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively before groups or organizations. Ability to communicate in Spanish and English with patients and family members from various educational, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds. ecome proficient quickly, pay close attention to details, courteous and professional behavior, ability to work effectively in stressful working conditions.