SUMMARY: To provide nursing assistance/interpretation in the language appropriate for the patient, providers and licensed nursing staff as per protocols.
1. Responsible for the initial work-up of the patients either WI or appointments. This includes taking vital signs, obtaining heights and weights and obtaining urine specimens, hemoglobin, blood sugars and lead levels by capillary puncture, as needed.
2. Responsible for the correct recording of this data in the patient charts. All performed under the supervision of the RN.
3. Assists in preparing the patient for examination by medical staff, assists during the examination as needed.
4. Assists in cleaning and sterilizing instruments used in the clinic, assuring labeling as to expiration dates and checking current status.
5. Assist in the general cleanup and maintenance of the patient examination rooms, work-up area and equipment.
6. Participates in continuing education seminars on and off-site as feasible.
7. Participates in staff conferences.
8. Participates in other related activities affecting the clinic program, such as health fairs.
9. Assists with venipuncture, audiometry exams, EKG’s, Snellen’s and any other tasks assigned by the licensed nurse that has a predictable outcome.
10. Responsible for interpreting for providers or nurses or other employees as designated.
11. Translates handouts for providers or nurses as needed.
12. Carries out proper procedure for basic life support, fire, disaster, and infection control.
13. Attends required meetings and participates in in-services and continuing education programs to keep current of trends in nursing care.
14. Uses tact, patience, and understanding when dealing with patients and families.
15. Documents an accurate and relevant record of patient’s care.
16. Maintains communication with providers.
17. Adheres to and enforces health center policies and procedures relating to the safety of patients and employees.
18. Other duties as delegated by the RN Clinical Manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or GED with nurse assistance certificate. Experience in interpreting the language patient is most proficient.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate in Spanish and English with patients and family members from various educational, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply concepts of basic mathematics.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Verbal and written instructions given by providers, nursing director and/or charge nurse.
COMPETENCY/SKILL REQUIREMENT: Competency required in the areas of communication, verbal and written skills, ability to perform nursing assistant duties per age specific nursing protocols.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Current Nursing Assistant I or II certification. Current CPR certification.