SUMMARY: Responsible for all nursing responsibilities per nursing protocols.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned by the Director of Nursing.
1. Triages patients to determine order of need, consulting with providers as needed to promote continued patient flow through the medical system. For patients triaged and not seen the same day, supervises the collection and recording of vital signs and other pertinent patient data.
2. Completes nursing admission of each patient according to protocol.
3. Carries out patient's plan of care within health center policy, procedures, and legal limitations. Performs nursing procedures for minor treatment (such as cleansing of wounds, bandaging, suture removal, giving injections) at the direction of the medical provider or supervisor according to standard protocols.
4. Completes nurse emergency procedures, including patient transfer to hospitals.
5. Delegates lab assignments to nursing in assistance to overall lab requirements per clinic regulations.
6. Develops and updates existing nursing protocol to ensure a quality standard of care.
7. Maintains a medical supply inventory of needed equipment instruments and ensures procurement of adequate supplies.
8. Maintains and implements a safety program that monitors the following:
a. Equipment maintenance and annual calibrations
b. Universal precautions
c. Disposal of hazardous waste
9. Coordinates all nursing outreach activities as directed.
10. Provides psychosocial interventions with individuals, families, and groups.
11. Coordinates client care with relevant agencies to facilitate implementation of treatment plan.
12. Implements preventive treatment and follow-up programs to meet the needs for the client population.
13. Collaborates with all other staff within the health center to provide and maintain primary care of clients.
14. Coordinates patient care in cases requiring complex multidisciplinary intervention such as prenatal care requiring social services, HIV counseling, and domestic violence intervention.
15. Participates in staff conferences to devise patient care plans, to revise and update clinic service and CQI program.
16. Assists Director of Nursing with strategic planning and implementation of clinical strategies for projected future health problems arising from annual community diagnosis and special populations needs assessments.
17. Participates in other related activities affecting the clinic program (e.g. grant application requirements, patient data analysis, committees, recruitment and orientation.).
18. Assists in cleaning and sterilizing instruments used in the clinic. Assists in the general clean-up and maintenance of the patient examination rooms and work-up area and equipment.
19. Responds to calls from the reception desk if they have an urgent nursing/medical concern about a patient.
20. Carriers out proper procedures for basic life support, fire, disaster, and infection control.
21. Safely administers medications as ordered by the physician(s).
22. Accepts constructive criticism and implements suggestions and/or goals for improving
23. Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Successful completion of Registered Nurse or LPN program from an accredited school. Experience in public health, triage/ER, outpatient service. Current NC RN or LPN License.
Hours: Mon - Wed, 8am-5pm. Thurs, 8am-8pm. Fri, 8am-1pm. Occassional Saturday, approximately 6-8 weeks.