SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting dentist/dental students, along with cleanliness of the operatories and equipment. Participates as a member of the Patient Centered Health Home (PCHH) Care Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Prepares patient for the dentist
a. completes medical history review
b. notes chief complaint in chart
c. takes blood pressure and document
2. Exposes and develops radiographs, according to standard protocols and/or dentist orders.
3. Assists dentist during oral exam and treatment.
4. Maintains dental instruments and equipment
5. Cleans and maintains the dental operatories, sterilization and lab areas.
6. Stocks operatories with adequate supplies at end of each day and as needed.
7. Assists dental hygienist and clerk when necessary and feasible.
8. Assists the patient in development of the patient’s Dental Self Management goals and care plans. Focuse s on the assessment, monitoring and proactive management of the healthcare needs of the patient population. Participates in case reviews during PCHH huddles:
9. Performs front desk duties in absence of dental receptionist or as directed by dental director.
10. Pours impressions and trim models.
11. Fabricates custom trays and bite rims. Responsible for purchase orders and ordering of monthly expendable supplies, as directed.
12. Participates in continuing education on and off site as appropriate and feasible. Applies sealants to teeth as designated by the dentist.
13. Polishes teeth following prophy of teeth by the Dentist and give oral hygiene instructions to patients.
14. Takes alginate impressions as designated by the dentist.
15.Fabricates temporary crowns and pack gingival string for crown impressions.
16. Other duties as assigned.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: X-ray and dental assistant certification.